Friday 17 June 2011

Personal Debts, what do I do???

man is born free, but everywhere he is in chain” is a quotation from Jean Jacques Rousseau (1712 – 1778) The Social Contract, French political philosopher. Indeed, "I owe I owe and off to work I go" goes the lyrics of a song

But, I ask myself, was I really born free? Let’s see, at the time of my birth (early seventies), our national external debt was $677m, amounting to $48 debt per head on every baby born in Tanzania then pop 14m (Ajayi et al, 2000)…was I really born free? you tell me!

[By the way, Tanzania external debt has risen to $5.3bn (2008), with population of 41m people, every person born in Tanzania today is born with at least $129 debt…I should remember to add this to my personal loans, credit cards and mortgage debts ;-) ]

The truth is, I inherited more than just DNA from my parents (and parents’ parents). I should have been born free, but I grew up with not only national external (and internal debt) hovering over my head but also a way of thinking-mind-set, both from my immediate family and national paradigm (the old question, who we are today is it nature or nurture?)

I come from the family background where children are considered as investment-parents want payback from children they reared into society. So I have to fight to stand on my own feet not just for me and my children, but for my parents, my in-law, my younger siblings and some extended family members whom my father/mother (my in-laws) owes a favour.

Coming from such background, you will excuse me if I fight like a crazy man; I want to be free not just for me but to leave a legacy for my children and my children’s children. I don’t see or consider my children as investment. I consider it my duty (since they did not ask to be born off me) to make sure that I give them a head start in life-education, right mindset and capital.

The most wise King who ever lived, King Solomon, was recorded saying, “a good man leaves inheritance to his children’s children” [Proverbs 13:22, NIV] so what does it mean if a man leave nothing or worse, debts to his children…

No comments:

Post a Comment